Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46

Thread: Marisol book review

  1. #11
    monimarine
    Guest monimarine's Avatar

    Post

    My daughter found it humorous and there were alot of things she could relate to, like sticking olives on your fingers before eating them- show me a kid who has never done that before! LOL [img]wink.gif[/img]

    And DD relates to treating the cats with the flea medication, brushing them, etc....

    We also got a kick out of the reference to her Dad being a Chicago Bears fan, and Miss Mendoza throwing a jersey on over her dance outfit! DD just got a Bears jersey for Christmas, so now we'll have to see if we can find a Mari size jersey! [img]wink.gif[/img]

  2. #12
    Inactive Member kitschywoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12th, 2004
    Posts
    394
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ehhh...it was all right. The style of writing was a bit disconcerting to me. I think the author was trying to mimic a child's train of thought, which tends to jump around.

    Anne (whose train of thought is still boarding at the station)

  3. #13
    monimarine
    Guest monimarine's Avatar

    Post

    LOL Anne! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

  4. #14
    Sail-Away
    Guest Sail-Away's Avatar

    Post

    OK well, that makes more sense to me, Anne.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member utopiaofdelight's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11th, 2004
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You are so funny, Anne! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

  6. #16
    Inactive Member americangirlsrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 29th, 2004
    Posts
    221
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Maybe since most here are used to the historical books that let us in on a girl's perspective in the past, the AGT books aren't that interesting.

    I haven't read any of them thoroughly. I started Lindsey's with DD, but she takes so much reading home from school, that we didn't finish it. Will have to get on them again.

    Just a thought..... [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]

  7. #17
    ponydreamer
    Guest ponydreamer's Avatar

    Post

    Sailaway...my daughter was/is a reader. I mean...she reads all of the time, and especially when she was Marina's age. I would have let her read the Marisol book with no problem. She might not have loved the writing style, but she would have loved to read about how Mari lived.

    Does this ever happen with Marina? When MOlly was little, she was able to read books that were quite advanced for her age. She comprehended them well, but didn't always know how to pronouce some of the words. She had a really vast vocabulary, though, and sometimes would have us rolling on the floor laughing! She'd use her big words in sentences, only mis-pronounce them horribly. It was qutie a hoot. She thought it was funny, too.

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ January 08, 2005 11:02 AM: Message edited by: The_Preacher's_Kid ]</font>

  8. #18
    Inactive Member gritsmommyof5's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2004
    Posts
    301
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Maybe it's Hispanic slang??????

    Yesterday I said to a friend he is making me ill (southern slang). She really though I was getting sick. I really meant the situation was making me mad.

    For instance you wrote :Also the kids around her block are they retarted or something? I know people use the word retarded also to describe someone who is slow. I know that is the meaning of the word. I am a parent of a retarded son and I have to overlook how the word is use sometime. I know I am very senstive how the word is use. I know it's because of Morgan my son. Please don't think I am coming down on you. I am not. Just looking at the other side. I really did enjoy your post. PS I am NOT a fan of Marisol. I probably would not enjoy the book.

  9. #19
    Inactive Member jaydon724's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 14th, 2004
    Posts
    644
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I thought her book was okay, but from a kid's perspective, my DD thoroughly enjoyed it! She's 6 BTW.

  10. #20
    monimarine
    Guest monimarine's Avatar

    Post

    I completely missed that part of the original post. My sister was mentally handicapped. She had a very rare genetic disorder called Cornelia De Lange syndrome. My mother hated the word "retarded"......... even in the most light situations.

    Teri you have to be a very strong person to care for and deal with the struggles that come daily with children with special needs! I give you much credit and wish you strength! I watched my mother care for my sister for 18 years (she passed away last summer) when doctor's told my mom that Amy would never do something as simple as feed herself or walk! Amy did those things and many more! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •